Ok, so I was hesitant to write this post because these treats contain wheat flour. However, while I myself eat fairly healthy the majority of the time, I feel everyone should splurge in junk food occasionally. So that is what I am doing for my dogs. Today we baked cookies!
What better way to bring in fall than baking in the kitchen. These treats made my whole house smell simply delicious.
I adapted this recipe from one I found on Pinetrest and can not unfortunately find the link again. I wanted to minimize the whole wheat flour so I cut it back and added some flaxseed.
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together all ingredients. Add water as needed to make the dough workable, however it should be dry and stiff.
3. Roll the dough flat into 1/2 an inch thickness.
4.Use cookie cutters to cut out biscuits.
5. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until hard, about 20 minutes.
I had a few dogs boarding at my B&B and as you can see, they were all anxiously waiting for the biscuits to be done….that and the occasional pieces of dough. They all LOVED them!